adventures of a belly dancing acupuncturist

This started as a travelogue to Turkey in the fall '05 so that I wouldn't have to send multiple emails and postcards. I'm still adding anecdotes as I remember them, but it's morphing into a "rant to the ether" spot. Stay, or go. This is my bit of space to do with what I wish.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Single minded obsession

Who cares about what is going on in the world, or even in our state. The Broncos are in the AFC championship game and that is all that matters.

The local news stations didn't even cover the fact that some of the state senators are pushing a referendum to go on the fall ballot to allow for same sex domestic partnerships that, while not the full rights of marriage, give many of the rights of married couples. I only knew to look for articles in the papers because Jay Marvin spent most of the 8 am hour on the subject. They did manage to spend nearly a minute on this year's version of the smoking ban (yes my fingers are crossed for this one, I want to see bands without smelling like an ashtray at the end of the night) but they spent nearly the first 5 minutes on the upcoming game, not counting the features on the guy with the same last name as a major Steeler later in the 1/2 hour. This brings back fond memories of Ralph Nader's analysis of local news that I got to hear the week before the 2000 elections when he was at the Paramount . . . .

Sounded out my heck of a welcome party for Brownie yesterday at the Marade. At one point I asked a reporter from the CBS affiliate if she had heard any more details as to the location and projected opening of Brownie's office and she said "now remind me of who he is again?"

OMFG!!!!!!!!!

Can we please give reporters a current events quiz before allowing them on the air?

I had a roommate my sophmore year at NYU who was in the journalism program. Not a good writer nor a particularly bright girl. Did the John Casablancas modeling school in her Illinois home town and believed that, at 5'2", she had a realistic shot. I saw her on CNN as one of the local reporters in some hurricane or other in summer '04. Brains must not be a prerequisite for looking windswept.

Unrelated to anything else, I spent nearly $400 today on herb formulas and flower essences stock bottles to make individual concoctions for my clients. Ouch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home