adventures of a belly dancing acupuncturist

This started as a travelogue to Turkey in the fall '05 so that I wouldn't have to send multiple emails and postcards. I'm still adding anecdotes as I remember them, but it's morphing into a "rant to the ether" spot. Stay, or go. This is my bit of space to do with what I wish.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

How to be a client . . .

or what you can expect from me as your acupuncturist, and what is going WAY TOO FAR:

You have the right to 15 minutes of my time on the phone for a consultation to determine if this is an appropriate form of therapy for you, in addition to the time needed to schedule an appointment, find out my fees and get directions to my place of work. This is very generous time wise (as are my fees) for someone in practice for nearly 9 years.

I will give you the time you need to fill out any paperwork without counting it as treatment time. After that, time is money. Sorry to be crass, but this is my job and you are paying me to listen to you, to feel your pulses (and diagnos you) and to treat you. When you walk out the door you are either going to come back for further treatment, or you won't. It's your decision. It's your money and it's your health.

But . . .

You will not become my friend because I have listened to you for the time spent in the intake and on the phone while determining your interest in pursuing acupuncture. You are pursuing acupuncture, not me nor my friendship (nor anything more for that matter). I have had friends become clients for periods of time, but I've not had a client become a friend. There are some that I would enjoy as friends. It is not appropriate. You will not ask me out for coffee after only 1 treatment because you like talking to me. I listened to you as it related to treating you. I have no interest in becoming your friend and I have no interest in sitting and listening to you say the same things over and over. If I recommend therapy to you (before the request to talk my ear off is made) it is because I feel you do need someone to listen to you, but it will not be me. I have the right to terminate treatment with you if you do not respect my boundaries. And I will not hesitate to do so.


Coming soon . . . . stupid client stories with all identifying features and gender removed.

Read about the client who kept cell phone within reach to be able to receive calls while on the treatment table (and scheduled self to recieve calls at this time) and then couldn't understand why I was unable to be of any help. I know the practitioner this former client goes to, good luck to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home