adventures of a belly dancing acupuncturist

This started as a travelogue to Turkey in the fall '05 so that I wouldn't have to send multiple emails and postcards. I'm still adding anecdotes as I remember them, but it's morphing into a "rant to the ether" spot. Stay, or go. This is my bit of space to do with what I wish.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Houses of the rich and tasteless

Things are still slow for me on the acupuncture front, so I've been helping a friend who has a company that cleans new constructions when they're completed for showings or for move in. It involves lots of damp dusting, scraping and scrubbing paint, plaster, etc off of surfaces that they never should have dripped on - cleaning up the mess the building crew leaves behind.

So we were in a house today in the Crestmoor neighborhood, replacing what was probably a lovely modest mid century bungalow on a good parcel of land. This house, which I imagine will list for a minimum of $4 mil, could easily fit at least 2 (maybe 3?) of the apartments in which my parents raised 3 daughters, but not wisely. It also seems to be a repository for all of their leftover building supplies - a mish mash of woods, tiles and granites that are not necessarily in synch with each other. The closets in the master suite are large with plenty of shelves and half length hanging space, but very little full length hanging space. The master bath tiling is freezing under foot with no evidence of a floor heating system (if you're going that far, you may as well heat the tiles that will likely be ice cold even when it's 90 out). The whole layout seems like it's space for the sake of having it as opposed to using it creatively and wisely, a waster of resources really. The decorator seems to have a fetish for odd and disconcerting shades of brown. This is the kind of home that has a utility bill that would dwarf my significant, for Denver, rent. The question now is, can this company sell this house (it is not a custom build but a company design that they are now putting on the market)? My gut tells me this may well end up one of the homes that is putting Colorado at the top of the list in foreclosures within a couple of years.

What a waste.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger TestPilot said…

    Its SO true. That might be one of my neighbors. Is it across from the park?

    Love your page and I'm glad its so active.

    http://castellari.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home