adventures of a belly dancing acupuncturist

This started as a travelogue to Turkey in the fall '05 so that I wouldn't have to send multiple emails and postcards. I'm still adding anecdotes as I remember them, but it's morphing into a "rant to the ether" spot. Stay, or go. This is my bit of space to do with what I wish.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

evolution of a dancer part 1

When Sarai first told me that I should be a belly dancer, all I knew of it was the typical "tits and glitz" that one sees (very poorly) portrayed in pop culture media. The seed of interest was planted, but dormant. It was Fat Chance and their American Tribal style, very exotic and alluring yet discrete, that pulled me in so to speak.

I started my classes with the Gypsy Caravan as I began my second term at OCOM, in a patchwork sari silk skirt and a black lycra top, and as soon as finances allowed started to sort out my style. Silver and lapis lazuli jewelry took precedence over costuming itself, which tended to black and assorted roses/mauves. After about a year I started buying lipsticks. It's amazing how one's face can look so washed out while wearing vibrant costuming. Or the lights in the studio just sucked. But I'm kinda lazy and was always (and still am) a bit unfinished compared to most of my dance friends in appearance.

When I moved to Denver in late '98 there was no American Tribal here at all, and no one I knew was interested. The transition into Cabaret/Danse Oriental/etc. was tough, and I had to leave a couple of good teachers because my body wasn't very cooperative, nor was my mind and spirit. Eva was the first teacher I had here, and is the one who stuck. I gave up on extensive hair wraps/decoration for good after a few veil classes and got hooked on Turkish style over the years, but have yet to bite the bullet and go beaded bra and belt for costuming. On Sunday that will change. I am ready to buy 2 proper costumes, beaded bra and all. I am going to draw the line at pouffy sleeves and beaded headbands, there are some stylistic places I can not go. If I have any decision making glitches I'll try to post the options and put it up for a vote. My Oregon dance friends will find this most amusing.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Cuz. If you turn on "word verification" for your comments in "settings" you won't get irritating spam like the previous non-comment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home